Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Chip Kidd- Book-Cover Designer Extraordinaire

I loved listening to Chip Kidd talk about the importance of book covers.  Many times i've bought books based on the picture on the front.  In some particular cases, where they have different covers for different parts of the world, i've seeked for a particular version of the book just for the cover.
There is something "romantic" about a book (very much as there is something romantic about getting a letter on the mail, compared to getting an email).  The smell, the yellowish pages, being able to underline particular phrases or make comments on the side, and most definitely, the cover.
A book cover calls me.  It invites me to an imaginary world.  In cases where the book has a picture on the cover, it's the first impression I have of a new place, of a new story.

"The Great Brain Suck"
This book has a great cover.  The cover shows what looks like a black hole, a great image to portray something that is getting "sucked in".  The title of the book is white and right in the middle, where the black hole would be found.  The title contrasts with the other colors in the cover- red and black- making it easy to see it.  The cover makes you want to look inside the book, and see what the "black hole" has pulled in.

"Smothered in Hugs"
I liked this book cover as well.  When I think about big smothery hugs I immediately think about bear hugs.  The picture definitely portrays being smothered with hugs.  I feel that with a picture like the bear in the front, you need very simple type and colors.  Any other colored letter would get lost with the bear.

"Ugly Man"
Ha! A pickle to talk about an ugly man. I definitely want to open the book and see what it is about.  The picture is funny, and it makes me think the book will be funny as well.  I like the white background and black type.  It makes it very neat and organized next to the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment